A couple of weeks ago, I made the bittersweet decision to stay up working late. Why bittersweet? Because I worked hard until 4am knowing I had to wake up at 6:30am that same day. I could barely stay awake and focus but I was determined to finish up a lesson plan I was working on earlier that day. By 3:30am I kept awaking to random thoughts or dreams typed into my lesson plan template. The good thing is, I finished it and still woke up at 6:30am, rolled out of bed and started my day as normal. The bad part is, I payed for that lack of sleep in multiple ways that day.
For many of you who begin your days around 6:30am, you know how vital sleep is to your day. Being at school with 20+ students for the day, requires rest the night before. Two and a half hours of sleep is nothing a teacher would want to play around with. I could barely stay standing without feeling my body begin to rest after being still for more than one minute. I couldn't sit down for more than 30 seconds without my eyelids slowly coming down. To top it off, my teacher was called to leave because her daughter broke a bone in gym. I was quickly called to step in, finish our read alouds, see that the class rats Gabby and Gracie were cared for, send the class to gym, complete the math lesson for the day and end the day with a science lesson and distribute homework. You all should have seen my face when I tried to convince myself and my cooperating teacher that we would be fine while she ran to her daughter's side. With one of my student's sign interpreter there to encourage me, I made it through the day. That load of responsibility truly woke me up.
I lost my keys and was so close but so far away from my bed that I slept in my hallway until my roommate came home. Two hours into my nap I found out via Instagram that my roommate who stayed up until 4am with me was in the hospital. She cut her hand at work and bled for about an hours before they sent her to the hospital. Unfortunately, on her way out the door she fainted and busted her head. The crazy part is she only thought about the work she wasn't able to get done due to the situation.
I share my story with my fellow bloggers to encourage someone out there is who procrastinating as you read. Someone who is in grind mode right now or if you are simply someone who enjoys a good story. Please, care enough about yourself to avoid putting yourself in this predicament. Be mindful of the stress you put on your mind and body to avoid it shutting down on you. And know, just because some people can survive off those habits, your body clock may not be about that life. I realized, I'm not about that life. That was an eye opening lesson learned the hard way.
Ms. Christine.
Thank you for being brave enough to share your learning from this with the blogosphere. It takes a lot to admit that we have made a mistake, but when we can admit that we have actually learned something from it, it is so worth it!
ReplyDelete:)Kira